Michigan City Police Station
Michigan City, Indiana
In partnership with the Michigan City Police Department, American Structurepoint’s Architecture + Interiors Group designed this state-of-the-art law enforcement facility to provide a long-term public safety solution for officers, to promote energy efficiency, and to improve the quality of life in the Eastport neighborhood. These strategies create a gateway to the city that becomes a neighborhood landmark for revitalization.
The new police station was strategically located on the site of the former Eastport Elementary School for its central location and proximity to Cleveland Park. An investment of $13 million, the 42,000 sft building is a catalyst for redevelopment along Michigan Boulevard. Replacing an outdated, 50-year-old station, the move also opens a valuable piece of property near Lake Michigan for redevelopment.
2018 AIA Indiana Design Awards - Citation Award, Project Cost Greater Than $1 Million Category
Separating the front entrance from the sally port, the building design adapts the pattern language of the adjacent neighborhood to distinguish occupied space from support space. Occupied spaces are pushed to the perimeter of the building to maximize daylighting, and support spaces with low lighting needs, including a 360-degree virtual firing range, are tucked into the hillside. Continuing this split between levels, 24/7 operations are consolidated on the first floor in an effort to maximize staff utilization and to conserve energy after hours. Additional energy reducing strategies include LED Lighting, Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) systems with heat recover technology and solar panels on the roof.
Building materials reflect the programmatic split with a metal panel spine and glass apertures for active spaces contrasted against the modularity and permanence of masonry for the base and support spaces.
A gateway aperture along Michigan Boulevard glows within the cantilevered frame inviting the community to the public entrance. The spine rests atop a protective, brick base emerging from the hillside. At the center of the spine, apertures open to the central courtyard providing ample views to greenspace while louvers help control solar heat gain. As the spine extends over the garage, the southern aperture opens towards Cleveland Park. The community room and fitness center lend a protective gaze to the park below and also spill out to a shaded terrace.
The city, with community input, made improvements to the park which included a walking trail, playground equipment, a basketball court and the preservation of an illustrious sledding hill. Together, the park revitalization and new police station improve the quality of life for building occupants and the surrounding neighborhood.
"This new state of the art Police Station will be an investment in our brave men and women of the Michigan City Police Department, our Eastport neighborhood, and it will show Michigan City’s continued commitment, under my administration, to providing our citizens and visitors the highest level of public health and safety possible."
- Mike Arnold Joins American Structurepoint as New Florida Bridge Team Leader
- ACEC Indiana Honors Don Corson as Consulting Engineer of the Year
- Welcome to the US Roundabout Capital
- American Structurepoint Celebrates Dedication of the Lafayette Public Safety Center
- What You Need to Know to Pursue an Environmental Services Career
- American Structurepoint Earns National Award for Ongoing Hospital Project in Downtown Indianapolis
- American Structurepoint Earns National Recognition Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies
- County Roundabout Project Earns National Recognition
- Hays County Roundabout Recognized by the American Council of Engineering Companies
- American Structurepoint Podcast Celebrates National Surveyors Week
- Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Hangar Conversion Project Receives Top Honor in 2022 Air Force Design Awards
- American Structurepoint Podcast Celebrates National Engineers Week
- What You Need to Know to Pursue A Career in Transportation Engineering
- What You Need to Know to Pursue A Career in Environmental Engineering
- What You Need To Know to Pursue A Career in Civil Engineering
- What You Need To Know to Pursue A Career in Structural Engineering
- Wright-Patterson AFB Hangar Conversion Named Best Regional Project By ENR Midwest
- American Structurepoint Celebrates Completion of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project in Virginia
- Hays County Celebrates Opening its Newest Roundabout
- Interesting Tips for How to Protect Your Home or Business
- Roundabouts Improve Safety and Solve Complex Traffic Issues
- Project Spotlight: Transform 66 Outside the Beltway
- American Structurepoint Wins 2022 ACEC Indiana Grand Project Award
- Kaitlyn Currie, PE, Named ASCE Younger Member Engineer of the Year
- Project Spotlight: Allison Transmission Innovation Center
- Purdue University and American Structurepoint Receive National Engineering Award for Newman Road Underpass Project
- City of South Bend’s Enhanced Long Term Control Plan Wins Approval
- American Structurepoint Wins $500 Million Rota MACC
- Newman Road Project Receives Indiana Engineering Achievement Award
- SR 37 Corridor Drainage System Cited in National Engineering Competition
- Greg Henneke Achieves ASCE Fellow Distinction
- Glasswater Creek of Plainfield Receives National Recognition For Design Excellence
- American Structurepoint to Serve As Advisor for 16 Tech Signature Bridge Project
- Noblesville Wastewater Treatment Upgrades Cited In National Engineering Competition
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak