Veterans Memorial Parkway Water Main Replacement
The Veterans Memorial Parkway Water Main Replacement project included a section of the existing 48-inch RCCP water main under the road failed from joint separation and was repaired under an emergency contract. This project replaced the exisitng pipe with one new 48-inch water main, including two 36-inch HDPE pipes installed by directional drilling, in a deep crossing steel casing.
It included replacement of the existing 48-inch water main under Veterans Memorial Parkway with twin 36-inch water mains at 436 feet and 577 feet in length, respectively. The purpose of the project was to address water main settlement issues as a result of poor soil conditions under Veterans Memorial Parkway, further complicated by fluctuating groundwater levels due to the close proximity to the Ohio River. High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) pipe was used along with single-ball joints at either end where connections were made to the existing main to provide maximum flexibility. The twin, 36-inch water mains had to be directionally drilled under the roadway due to the inability to close Veterans Memorial Parkway because of high-traffic volumes. This project also included line stops and hot taps on the existing 48-inch water main to minimize outages. Thrust restraint for the line stops was of particular concern due to the poor soil conditions. Tie-back anchor systems with specific test load requirements, along with concrete thrust blocks, were utilized as restraint. This contract also included installation of mechanical joint fittings, tapping sleeves, valves, flushing connections, and air release valves. Additional project elements included clearing, building access roads to the sites, dewatering, erosion control, and testing of the water main. This project was 100 percent funded by the Evansville Water and Sewer Utility.
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak