Cummins Corporate Parking Structure
This 291,300-sft, $10 million parking structure addresses traffic patterns both inside and outside the structure to promote efficiency and safety for vehicles and pedestrians. Natural and artificial light are introduced to promote a friendly and safe parking experience. This award-winning parking structure is an excellent architectural expression that was achieved at an economical cost. The design/build project was completed in 300 days and features a massive installation of vertical green walls comprising 7,000 sft of Basic Wall™ living, growing vines along two of the four sides of the 954-car, 5-story parking garage. Effective design-build delivery, streamlined architecture, and repetition pushed construction cost per space to 30 percent lower than the national average. After only nine months of construction, the structure opened on time.
The structural system was a typical one-way post-tensioned concrete frame with moment frames providing all the lateral resistance. The typical span for the 5½ inch one-way slab was 22 feet with 14”x36” beams spanning 60 feet with 24”x24” columns. The long spans and moment frames (instead of shear walls) helped to create an open and secure feel to the garage.
Structural Gravity/Lateral Systems: Post tensioned slab and beam system with concrete moment frames.
Durability Measures: w/c ratio= 0.40, ¼”/ft slopes minimum, epoxy coated reinforcing, corrosion inhibitor, water reducing admixture, P/A minimum = 200psi principle direction, 150psi temperature direction, 1½” reinforcing cover.
Quality Assurance Measures: QA plan per contractor, site visits by structural engineer, inspector on site.
Cost Control Measures: Design/build delivery
Unique Features: Geopiers installed to attain 8000psf allowable soil bearing, cantilevered concrete roof at stair towers, green screen installation on North and South facades.
- Glasswater Creek of Plainfield Receives National Recognition For Design Excellence
- American Structurepoint to Serve As Advisor for 16 Tech Signature Bridge Project
- Noblesville Wastewater Treatment Upgrades Cited In National Engineering Competition
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak
Awards + Recognition
2013 National Recognition Award
2013 Engineering Excellence Awards
2013 Award of Excellence in Construction
Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards
2013 Award of Merit
2013 Outstanding Achievements in Concrete