Waverly Wellfield Design and Construction Administration
The Indianapolis Department of Waterworks, through their operating contractor, Veolia Water-Indianapolis, initiated development of a new water supply wellfield to provide additional raw water supply. The new wellfield, consisting of six high-capacity wells, was designed to provide an initial dependable yield of 12 MGD, with the capability for expansion up to 24 MGD. American Structurepoint was contracted to design the production wells, including siting of four new wells and site approval for two existing 24-inch-diameter test wells. Well screen size and length were designed on the basis of test drilling data and formation sampling from the test holes. Specific elements of the project included design, analysis, and evaluation of aquifer testing (24-hour pumping tests) conducted on each of the new wells.
The pumping test data were used for design of well pumping equipment, analysis of projected drawdown across the wellfield property, and siting future well locations. Key design challenges included location of the new well sites to minimize local and regional water level declines and considering the need to expand the wellfield in the future as water demands increase.
Additional consulting project components included topographic survey of the wellfield property (over 500 acres) and route survey and easement preparation of more than five miles of 36-inch water transmission main. The selected transmission main route required six stream crossings (including the West Fork of the White River, a navigable waterway) and two wetland crossings. As part of the final design and permitting of the transmission main, our consultants prepared applications for USACE Section 404 permits and Section 401 Water Quality Certifications for the waterway and wetland crossings, including development of restoration plans. Permitting efforts also included construction in a floodway through the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, which required preparation of restoration plans for forested floodway clearing. Our engineering firm also provided construction administration services throughout the well installation phase, including formation sampling, field review of screen selection, water quality sampling, and analysis of water quality laboratory data.
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak