Kennedy Park Sewer Separation
South Bend, Indiana
As part of the city’s Long Term Control Plan, this project eliminated the stormwater flow from the combined sewer system, which caused numerous basement backups and contributed to combined sewer overflows downstream of the neighborhood. After the feasible solutions were determined, a public meeting was held to receive feedback from the affected homeowners to foster community buy-in. The new storm sewer eliminated the combined flows from Olive Street to Bendix Drive and from Lincolnway to Bendix Drive.
All stormwater runoff within the neighborhood is handled by allowing percolation into the ground throughout the neighborhood. This solution was feasible because the soils within the neighborhood are sandy with a high percolation rate. Separation of the combined sewer eliminated the basement backups within the neighborhood and potentially within other neighborhoods located downstream. This increased the overall health benefits to the residents by eliminating the presence of raw sewage in their basements.
Design of the new storm sewer system used low-impact development (green) solutions, including rain gardens, bioretention areas, underground infiltration basins, and curb turnouts with swales. By using this mixture of green solutions, American Structurepoint was able to greatly decrease the pipe sizes and lengths required for the storm sewer, which helped offset the costs for the infiltration basins, plantings for the bioretention areas, and increased pavement removal to maintain positive drainage. The project saved the City in excess of $2 million when compared to traditional gray infrastructure.
- City of South Bend’s Enhanced Long Term Control Plan Wins Approval
- American Structurepoint Wins $500 Million Rota MACC
- Newman Road Project Receives Indiana Engineering Achievement Award
- SR 37 Corridor Drainage System Cited in National Engineering Competition
- Greg Henneke Achieves ASCE Fellow Distinction
- Glasswater Creek of Plainfield Receives National Recognition For Design Excellence
- American Structurepoint to Serve As Advisor for 16 Tech Signature Bridge Project
- Noblesville Wastewater Treatment Upgrades Cited In National Engineering Competition
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak