Jefferson Boulevard over St. Joseph River Bridge
South Bend, Indiana
This historic 1913, 4-span, earth-filled concrete Melan Arch bridge in downtown South Bend was originally analyzed and determined to be irreparable by another consultant. Their replacement project would have cost $4 million. The bridge was eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, and the county commissioners determined they wanted to rehabilitate the existing bridge to preserve its historic integrity as a community resource.
Rehabilitation included removing the deteriorated spandrel walls, patching the arch ring, and rebuilding the bridge with a concrete pavement and drainage system to reduce future deterioration. Structural strengthening was added inside the arch to resolve some design deficiencies in the original bridge, which had led to sagging of two of the spans. Coordination and permitting with numerous historical agencies and research of historic records resulted in the recreation of many features and details that had been lost or covered up over the years. This project won an American Concrete Institute award for Outstanding Achievement in Concrete Design.
- Noblesville Wastewater Treatment Upgrades Cited In National Engineering Competition
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak