I-65 Northwest Indiana Expansion Design-Build
Lake County, Indiana
This design-build project, also known as the Northwest Indiana Expansion project, included construction of added travel lanes and bridge rehabilitation along an approximately 13-mile stretch of I-65 from 0.63 miles south of SR 2 to 1.05 miles south of US 30. The scope included complete reconstruction and widening of the Kankakee River Bridges, construction of a third lane and shoulder in existing median while resurfacing adjacent two lanes and outside shoulder from SR 2 to US 231, converting outside PCCP shoulder to a third lane during construction of a new PCCP shoulder adjacent from US 231 to 1.05 miles south of US 30, deck overlay and widening of I-65 over SR 2 and Wirtz Ditch bridges, deck reconstruction and widening of I-65 over US 231 bridges, rehabilitation of another eight bridges within project limits and expansion/upgrade of an intelligent traffic system network along I-65 from 217th Avenue to 101st Avenue.
In total, 75 lane miles and 16 bridges were under construction during either the 2017 or 2018 construction year. The project included drainage improvements, signage, and pavement markings. Paving totaled nearly 170,000 tons of hot mix asphalt and over 25,000 cys of concrete. Subgrade construction included an estimated 101,500 cys of soil stabilization. Over 31,500 lft of double-faced guardrail was installed in the median. Between structural and reinforcing steel, 2.6 million lbs were incorporated into contract work. The Kankakee River bridges were 3-span steel girder structures. The bridges are now single-span, 204’x8’ steel girder structures. Drainage construction included 33 detention berms, nearly 85,000 lft of underdrain and 47 new median inlet structures. American Structurepoint, as a subconsultant to HNTB, provided construction inspection services throughout the project. Project leadership reported directly to the INDOT LaPorte District area engineer. Construction costs were $62 million.
- Noblesville Wastewater Treatment Upgrades Cited In National Engineering Competition
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak