The City of Greendale and the Lawrenceburg Conservancy District collaborated to modify an abandoned railroad embankment so it would serve as a flood control structure near the Ohio River. American Structurepoint determined the most cost-effective approach would be a riverside enlargement of the 1.5-mile embankment that protects 450 acres. The project design incorporated measures to reduce through-seepage, minimize leakage, reduce foundation underseepage, provide sufficient shear strength to handle all loading conditions, incur minimal settlement ensuring the design crest elevation is maintained, and resist erosion from wave action and flow forces.
The scope of work included coordination with local utility companies and governing authorities, review of interior drainage calculations, storm sewer design, grading, site layout, and earthwork estimating. Also included were a 90-foot-wide stop-log type closure structure across a public roadway, boring of a 54" RCP under a public roadway, construction of a wetland area, and multiple sluice gate structures. Computer modeling was performed using TR-20, adICPR, and HEC-RAC. The interior area comprised a series of smaller watersheds connected by naturally occurring weirs. The computer program adICPR was used to model the hydraulic behavior of the overall watershed in order to determine how each individual area impacted the total drainage system.
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak