Franklin Street Streetscape Improvements
Michigan City, Indiana
American Structurepoint designed and inspected construction for the redevelopment of a 1.9-mile stretch of Franklin Street that flows through the heart of Michigan City, alternating between commercial districts and residential areas. Franklin Street was completely reconstructed from Coolspring Avenue to Tenth Street. The project consisted of grading, storm sewer installation, sanitary sewer installation, CIPP lining, driveway construction, curb and pattern sidewalk replacements including colored concrete ramps, landscaping, installation of irrigation systems, placement of architectural structures, decorative street lighting, traffic signal improvements, water main installation, removal of railroad tracks, installation of concrete modular block walls, thermal pavement markings, and bituminous paving. Approximate construction cost was $5.3 million.
Public coordination was a large part of this project. The gateway provides a subtle yet clear transition into the heart of the city, incorporating architectural nodes spaced along each side of the street. Each node consists of masonry piers, wrought iron fencing, and, in some cases, planters. Complementing these nodes are landscaping and architectural light poles along the entire stretch. Masonry and concrete bench seats line the streetscape near the redeveloped parallel-parking areas. Sidewalks throughout the project were updated per ADA regulations.
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak