39th Street over Fall Creek
This historic preservation project involved the rehabilitation of the historic 39th Street Bridge over Fall Creek. The 242-foot-long, 3-span, stone-faced, earth-filled concrete arch bridge was completed in 1905 using a Melan design and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Indianapolis Park and Boulevard System. The rehabilitation helped to ensure the continued utility and survival of this historic structure and also provided a key pedestrian linkage between the Fall Creek Greenway and the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
This project required preparation of a Level 2 Categorical Exclusion document, including conducting field investigation and data research of the project area with specific emphasis cultural and ecological resources. Field studies included a wetland delineation and an assessment of historic properties, an ESA including determination of potential hazardous waste locations and other potential environmental problem areas, and ecological assessments necessary for the proposed rehabilitation. Coordination of the USACE Section 404 Permit application and IDEM Section 401 Water Quality Certification aapplication was also required for the completion of the project.