USI Campus Improvements
The USI Loop Road project remedied a traffic congestion problem at the University of Southern Indiana's main entrance by replacing a four-way intersection with a roundabout. The intersection was shifted south and raised to enhance line of sight. The project included resurfacing and partial reconstruction of the road encircling the campus, as well as widening sections to eliminate congestion at parking lot entrances.
Phase 1A relocated a portion of Bent Twig Lane to allow room for construction of the Business and Engineering Center. Phase 1B replaced the stop-controlled intersection at the main campus entrance with a roundabout. Full-depth road reconstruction consisted of 16 inches of chemically modified subgrade, 13 inches of QC/QA HMA paving with underdrain, and concrete curb and gutter. Additional project upgrades included new storm sewer, pavement markings and signage, guardrail modifications, and landscaping. Incidental features included an asphalt recreation trail, concrete sidewalk and curb ramps, and new street lighting. The project had a tight timetable for the roundabout portion: it had to be constructed one half at a time between May and August while the majority of students were on summer break. During construction, coordination with University personnel was critical, especially while classes were in full session. This project is the second phase of a master plan to improve traffic flow and accessibility on campus, as well as create a safe and aesthetically pleasing environment. The USI Loop Road was an LPA project built to INDOT standards with federal funding. Phase IA was locally funded with work performed for the University of Southern Indiana and an approximate construction cost of $572,000. Phase IB was a LPA project built to INDOT standards with federal funding with an approximate construction cost of $2.5 million (Contract R-31813). Work was performed for the University of Southern Indiana in conjunction with the Indiana Department of Transportation Vincennes District.
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak