Lazelle Road Roadway and Water Main Improvements
This engineering project involved final design to improve the Lazelle Road corridor from west of Flint Road (as needed for lane addition tapers and vertical realignment) to Sancus Boulevard, including improvements to the intersections of Lazelle Road with Flint Road and South Old State Road and replacement of the railroad underpassess.
2023 National Recognition Award, American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), Engineering Excellence Awards.
2023 Outstanding Achievement Award – ACEC Ohio Section, Engineering Excellence Awards.
2022 Project of the Year (>$5m category), American Society of Highway Engineers (ASHE) Great Lakes Region.
2021 Project of the Year, ASHE Central Ohio Section.
2021 Outstanding Highway Project Award, ASHE Great Lakes Region.
2022 Project of the Year (Short Span Bridge), Association for Bridge Construction Design – Southwest & Central Ohio Chapters.
As a subconsultant to Gannett-Fleming, American Structurepoint was responsible for bridge design, retaining wall design (soldier pile and lagging, tangent pile, and cast-in-place concrete, right-of-way documents, roundabout peer review, and water line design. The new roadway sections include new curb and gutter and a closed storm sewer system.
Bridge design included superstructure design for replacing the Norfolk Southern (NS) and CSX railroad bridges (79') over the roadway. The CSX bridge is a single-track through girder and the NS is a two-track, deck girder bridge. Instead of using temporary structures to maintain rail traffic, the bridge structures were built in between the existing structure and used to maintain traffic while the existing structure was removed and the new foundations and abutments were built. Construction on this difficult-to-access site challenged the designers more than typical railroad bridge projects. Using detailed phasing was key to smooth progress while keeping traffic flowing on Lazelle Road and rail freight moving above it.
Traffic was maintained during construction by using temporary pavement and marked detours. Phase 1 and 3 maintained traffic in both directions during construction. Phase 2 used a 1-lane, one-way traffic for Lazelle Road eastbound traffic and a detour for Lazelle Road westbound traffic.
Rain gardens were used for best management practices. Curb cuts were added to allow the surface water to reach the rain garden. Any overflow water was captured and returned to the system via an overflow structure in the rain garden.
Sections of the existing city of Columbus and Del-Co water lines were replaced to accommodate the new closed storm sewer system and the lowering of Lazelle Road as well as Flint Street to meet vertical clearance requirements under the bridges. The overall water main design was essentially comprised of pipes from 6-inch to 16-inch with an aggregate length of 2,829 lft. The water main design also included new fire hydrants, valves, fittings, and other appurtenances.
Right-of-way documents include the preparation of right-of-way plans and legal descriptions compliant with ODOT standards and that meet the conveyance requirements for both Delaware County and Franklin County. The right-of-way plans included the preparation of railroad plats for two separate railroad owners within the project and the preparation of detailed plan sheets for multiple alignments and a roundabout. Consulting work included preparing approximately 65 legal descriptions for warranty deed takes, permanent, and temporary easements.
- American Structurepoint Achieves Number 2 Ranking on Columbus Business First Largest Central Ohio Engineering Firms List
- Pulchritudinous Peonies Paint Pleasant
- Announcement from CEO Rick Conner, PE, SE
- Range Line Road Corridor in Carmel, Indiana Receives ACEC Indiana Engineering Excellence Awards Recognition
- Allison Transmission Innovation Center Receives ACEC Indiana Engineering Excellence Award
- Serve & Protect – Lafayette's New Public Safety Center Opens
- Parma's Ridgewood Golf Course Clubhouse & Community Center Set To Open Summer 2024
- American Structurepoint Provides Support to Project Consultant Team for the Brent Spence Bridge Corridor Project
- American Structurepoint Receives Employer of the Year Award from Women Transportation Seminar Notheast Ohio
- IU Health Announces New Facility To Be Built By Fall 2024
- Mike Arnold Joins American Structurepoint as New Florida Bridge Team Leader
- ACEC Indiana Honors Don Corson as Consulting Engineer of the Year
- Welcome to the US Roundabout Capital
- American Structurepoint Celebrates Dedication of the Lafayette Public Safety Center
- What You Need to Know to Pursue an Environmental Services Career
- American Structurepoint Earns National Award for Ongoing Hospital Project in Downtown Indianapolis
- American Structurepoint Earns National Recognition Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies
- County Roundabout Project Earns National Recognition
- Hays County Roundabout Recognized by the American Council of Engineering Companies
- American Structurepoint Podcast Celebrates National Surveyors Week
- Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Hangar Conversion Project Receives Top Honor in 2022 Air Force Design Awards
- American Structurepoint Podcast Celebrates National Engineers Week
- What You Need to Know to Pursue A Career in Transportation Engineering
- What You Need to Know to Pursue A Career in Environmental Engineering
- What You Need To Know to Pursue A Career in Civil Engineering
- What You Need To Know to Pursue A Career in Structural Engineering
- Wright-Patterson AFB Hangar Conversion Named Best Regional Project By ENR Midwest
- American Structurepoint Celebrates Completion of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project in Virginia
- Hays County Celebrates Opening its Newest Roundabout
- Interesting Tips for How to Protect Your Home or Business
- Roundabouts Improve Safety and Solve Complex Traffic Issues
- Project Spotlight: Transform 66 Outside the Beltway
- American Structurepoint Wins 2022 ACEC Indiana Grand Project Award
- Kaitlyn Currie, PE, Named ASCE Younger Member Engineer of the Year
- Project Spotlight: Allison Transmission Innovation Center
- Purdue University and American Structurepoint Receive National Engineering Award for Newman Road Underpass Project
- City of South Bend’s Enhanced Long Term Control Plan Wins Approval
- American Structurepoint Wins $500 Million Rota MACC
- Newman Road Project Receives Indiana Engineering Achievement Award
- SR 37 Corridor Drainage System Cited in National Engineering Competition
- Greg Henneke Achieves ASCE Fellow Distinction
- Glasswater Creek of Plainfield Receives National Recognition For Design Excellence
- American Structurepoint to Serve As Advisor for 16 Tech Signature Bridge Project
- Noblesville Wastewater Treatment Upgrades Cited In National Engineering Competition
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak
Awards + Recognition
2022 Project of the Year Greater Than $5 Million American Society of Highway Engineers (ASHE) Central Ohio
2022 Project of the Year Greater Than $5 Million - American Society of Highway Engineers (ASHE) Great Lakes Region
2021 Outstanding Short-Span Railway Bridge Award, Association for Bridge Construction and Design Ohio chapters