SMC Manufacturing Expansion
American Structurepoint teamed with Victory Unlimited Construction on this design-build project to expand the warehousing and industrial manufacturing operations of an existing 900,000-sft Japanese-based electronic and pneumatic controls manufacturing facility. The project was fast tracked, because it would be the site of an international industrial conference in October 2011. This 600,000-sft addition includes a conference room, restrooms, laboratory and process space, production space, storage, and 27 loading docks. Also included with this project were the design of a new 11,000-sft kitchen and cafeteria/dining area, two training rooms, and two locker rooms. The SMC team completed the design and construction documents in four weeks to facilitate the fast-tracked schedule. The team also obtained Noblesville TAC approvals in approximately two weeks.
American Structurepoint provided the building design, structural design, surveying, and site design, including grading, utility, and landscape improvements for this project. The challenge in the design was to create visual interest in such a long façade that was being used for manufacturing and warehousing. The combination of painted precast panels, curtain wall, and windows helped break up the façade and provided an economical solution with visual interest.
The client's goal for their expansion was to maximize natural light through the use of glazing. However, due to the confidential nature of their operation, they did not want visual access inside the facility. Our design team used a variety of window locations to maximize light entering the manufacturing and warehouse spaces. Glazing areas on the first level were designed with a layer of laminated glass comprised of translucent PVB inner layer that allowed light into the plant without allowing vision. We also specified painting most interior surfaces white, including the roof deck, which helped disperse light throughout the facility.
- Glasswater Creek of Plainfield Receives National Recognition For Design Excellence
- American Structurepoint to Serve As Advisor for 16 Tech Signature Bridge Project
- Noblesville Wastewater Treatment Upgrades Cited In National Engineering Competition
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak