Kokomo Baseball Stadium
Beating out 32 participants, this popular ballpark was the winner of the best summer collegiate baseball stadium for two years running. As the project manager and lead designer for the $11.5 million, 40,000-sft baseball stadium, American Structurepoint provided a variety of architecture and engineering services including site selection, schematic layouts on multiple sites, program development, and architectural design services. The stadium accommodates 4,000 people for baseball games or other sporting events, and it can also be expanded for concerts and other special events.
CONTEXT Design collaborated with American Structurepoint on this project, offering their expertise in identifying site opportunities and constraints, and site planning. Initially, the stadium will be used by local high school and college baseball teams, while efforts are also underway to attract larger tournaments and semi-professional teams. Eventually, the stadium will merge into one of the largest new developments in the downtown’s history and will make significant contributions to the economic resurgence of downtown Kokomo.
The design aesthetic was meant to have a modern take on a historic baseball stadium. The use of brick and steel reflected a material palette of adjacent warehouse buildings from the early 1900s. In order to improve the space for users, the stadium’s location was improved for the site flood mitigation, but the stadium space should be a premier location to visit and enjoy baseball (from high school to semi-pro league games). This project is also meant be an economic catalyst for the downtown and spur new commercial as well as residential development. Sustainability was implemented by using a synthetic turf due to the extreme use that is planned for this facility. This would reduce overall water usage as opposed to a traditional turf field. The team listened to the client so as to include the amenities that they requested and advised them of the potential costs. In the end, the City was able to review those opportunities and chose to include or value engineer.
The team implemented solutions to the schedule, costs, and design by using specific materials that could double as an aesthetic and structural treatment that would simplify construction methods and potentially shorten construction time. The coordination of multiple bid packages allowed items to be started in the field, while the balance of the documents were completed.
- Roundabouts Improve Safety and Solve Complex Traffic Issues
- Project Spotlight: Transform 66 Outside the Beltway
- American Structurepoint Wins 2022 ACEC Indiana Grand Project Award
- Kaitlyn Currie, PE, Named ASCE Younger Member Engineer of the Year
- Project Spotlight: Allison Transmission Innovation Center
- Purdue University and American Structurepoint Receive National Engineering Award for Newman Road Underpass Project
- City of South Bend’s Enhanced Long Term Control Plan Wins Approval
- American Structurepoint Wins $500 Million Rota MACC
- Newman Road Project Receives Indiana Engineering Achievement Award
- SR 37 Corridor Drainage System Cited in National Engineering Competition
- Greg Henneke Achieves ASCE Fellow Distinction
- Glasswater Creek of Plainfield Receives National Recognition For Design Excellence
- American Structurepoint to Serve As Advisor for 16 Tech Signature Bridge Project
- Noblesville Wastewater Treatment Upgrades Cited In National Engineering Competition
- Company Provides Engineering Services to Red Line Bus Rapid Transit Project
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak