Eskenazi Health Central Utility Plant and Chiller Boiler Plant
American Structurepoint’s Structural Group worked with a team of architects and engineers to design the Chiller Boiler Plant (CBP) and Central Utility Plant (CUP) for the $800 Eskenazi Health campus. These critical structures provide utility service to the entire campus and are connected to the main hospital buildings via a system of underground utility tunnels. The primary purpose of the CBP is to provide chilled water and steam to the campus, and the primary purpose of the CUP is to provide back-up power, water for fire suppression, water treatment, and medical gases to the campus. It was a challenge to understand the unique requirements of the equipment housed in these structures. Our design had to support the large loads from the equipment and be properly coordinated to allow for all of these components to fit together.
Throughout both projects, utilization of building information modeling (BIM) software allowed the designers to clearly understand equipment placement and structural support requirements, as well as creation of transport zones and access openings to remove and replace large equipment in the future. Because these structures were very visible on this new dynamic campus, BIM was also used to coordinate structural supports for façade materials to allow the building to blend aesthetically with the nearby hospital tower, garage, and ambulatory clinic facilities.
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak