Michigan City Police Station
Michigan City, Indiana
In partnership with the Michigan City Police Department, American Structurepoint’s Architecture + Interiors Group designed this state-of-the-art law enforcement facility to provide a long-term public safety solution for officers, to promote energy efficiency, and to improve the quality of life in the Eastport neighborhood. These strategies create a gateway to the city that becomes a neighborhood landmark for revitalization.
The new police station was strategically located on the site of the former Eastport Elementary School for its central location and proximity to Cleveland Park. An investment of $13 million, the 42,000 sft building is a catalyst for redevelopment along Michigan Boulevard. Replacing an outdated, 50-year-old station, the move also opens a valuable piece of property near Lake Michigan for redevelopment.
2018 AIA Indiana Design Awards - Citation Award, Project Cost Greater Than $1 Million Category
Separating the front entrance from the sally port, the building design adapts the pattern language of the adjacent neighborhood to distinguish occupied space from support space. Occupied spaces are pushed to the perimeter of the building to maximize daylighting, and support spaces with low lighting needs, including a 360-degree virtual firing range, are tucked into the hillside. Continuing this split between levels, 24/7 operations are consolidated on the first floor in an effort to maximize staff utilization and to conserve energy after hours. Additional energy reducing strategies include LED Lighting, Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) systems with heat recover technology and solar panels on the roof.
Building materials reflect the programmatic split with a metal panel spine and glass apertures for active spaces contrasted against the modularity and permanence of masonry for the base and support spaces.
A gateway aperture along Michigan Boulevard glows within the cantilevered frame inviting the community to the public entrance. The spine rests atop a protective, brick base emerging from the hillside. At the center of the spine, apertures open to the central courtyard providing ample views to greenspace while louvers help control solar heat gain. As the spine extends over the garage, the southern aperture opens towards Cleveland Park. The community room and fitness center lend a protective gaze to the park below and also spill out to a shaded terrace.
The city, with community input, made improvements to the park which included a walking trail, playground equipment, a basketball court and the preservation of an illustrious sledding hill. Together, the park revitalization and new police station improve the quality of life for building occupants and the surrounding neighborhood.
"This new state of the art Police Station will be an investment in our brave men and women of the Michigan City Police Department, our Eastport neighborhood, and it will show Michigan City’s continued commitment, under my administration, to providing our citizens and visitors the highest level of public health and safety possible."
- Westminster Village of West Lafayette Receives National Recognition for Design Excellence
- Announcement from CEO Rick Conner, PE, SE
- Allison Transmission Innovation Center Receives ACEC Indiana Engineering Excellence Award
- Serve & Protect – Lafayette's New Public Safety Center Opens
- Parma's Ridgewood Golf Course Clubhouse & Community Center Set To Open Summer 2024
- IU Health Announces New Facility To Be Built By Fall 2024
- Parma Unveils Design for New Ridgewood Golf Course Clubhouse and Event Center
- $51 M Lafayette, Ind. Public Safety Building Complements Nearby Historic District
- Lafayette Public Safety Center Opens, $51 Million
- American Structurepoint Celebrates Dedication of the Lafayette Public Safety Center
- Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Hangar Conversion Project Receives Top Honor in 2022 Air Force Design Awards
- Environments for Aging Magazine Profiles Architect Vanessa Shumate
- Community Policing Design Trends at Heart of New Public Safety Center
- Wright-Patterson AFB Hangar Conversion Named Best Regional Project By ENR Midwest
- Interesting Tips for How to Protect Your Home or Business
- Roundabouts Improve Safety and Solve Complex Traffic Issues
- American Structurepoint’s Strategic Growth Is Being Recognized
- Project Spotlight: Allison Transmission Innovation Center
- American Structurepoint Wins $500 Million Rota MACC
- American Structurepoint Provides Design Services For Lafayette Public Safety Building
- American Structurepoint Celebrates Loeb Stadium Dedication
- Glasswater Creek of Plainfield Receives National Recognition For Design Excellence
- Joe Rebber Joins American Structurepoint’s Architecture Studio
- Rob Schoeck To Lead American Structurepoint's Healthcare Design Practice
- Bill McCuen Joins American Structurepoint Architecture Studio
- American Structurepoint Salutes Groundbreaking of New Loeb Stadium
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Groundbreaking for New Building at Northside Pediatrics Set for Friday, April 5
- CEDIA Headquarters Takes Best in Show in 2019 IIDA Indiana Interior Design Excellence Awards
- Rob Bray Receives Young Architect Award from AIA Indiana
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- Ivy Tech marches toward unified campus
- Brandon Farley, AIA, Receives 2016 Young Architect Award from AIA Indiana
- American Structurepoint Architect Named Outstanding Mentor by ACE Mentor Program
- American Structurepoint Designs Aerospace Research Facility for Purdue Research Foundation, Rolls-Royce