Rental Residence Fire Investigation

Middletown, Indiana

Investigative engineers from American Structurepoint were retained after a tenant-occupied residence suffered a fire loss that nearly totaled the structure. The tenant, who was uninsured, told the local fire officials that the light switch sparked and caused the fire. Our origin and cause investigation at the scene found that clear tape remained over the switch that was placed there prior to the fire, and it sustained no fire damage and no electrical activity existed. In fact, the fire originated in an upstairs bedroom closet and was caused by children playing with a cigarette lighter. The tenant was found liable and was to pay restitution.