Replacement of Lake County Bridge No. 2, Construction Inspection
Crown Point, Indiana
This project included replacement of Lake County Bridge No. 2 on Clay Street (Range Line Road) over the Kankakee River. The project location was at the intersection of Lake, Jasper, and Newton counties. Major work elements consulted on by our firm included roadway reconstruction, bridge removal, and new bridge construction. The roadway elements included reconstruction of approximately 1,039 lft of existing Range Line Road. The typical cross-section included one ten-foot lane of traffic in each direction with paved shoulders. The typical roadway section included four inches of new HMA pavement on top of six inches of compacted aggregate base.
The existing subgrade received a type IIA subgrade treatment. The ends of the project received milling/resurfacing and widening to accommodate the new pavement section. Additional elements of the project included reconstruction of four private drives (one at each corner of the bridge), which were constructed using compacted aggregate base. A new cross structure was constructed to carry Brown Levee Ditch underneath Range Line Road just north of the new bridge. The project also included installation of pavement markings and new signs. The existing bridge structure was a 167-lft single-span steel camelback thru-truss with a 19’-2” clear roadway. The existing structure was built in 1920 and repaired in 1991. Due to its historic nature, the existing structure was removed, match marked, and stored. The existing structure was replaced with a new 200-foot, 3-span continuous prestressed concrete hybrid bulb-tee beam bridge with span lengths of 61, 78, and 61 lft. The clear roadway width of the new bridge is 29’-3”. The abutments and piers were constructed on steel H-piles. The bridge carries one ten-foot lane of traffic in each direction, with four- to five-foot shoulders. The bridge deck is eight-inch-thick reinforced concrete. Work was performed for Lake County in conjunction with the Indiana Department of Transportation LaPorte District. Construction costs were $2.16 million (Contract B-34293).
- American Structurepoint Begins New Era – Relocates to 9025 River Road
- Matt Moore, PE, Joins American Structurepoint as Vice President
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak