Ironwood Road and Auten Road Intersection Improvements
The project involved the reconstruction of Ironwood Road and Auten Road with a roundabout. The overall project length on Ironwood Road and Auten Road was 0.25 mile, and the existing roadway profile was lowered to increase the sight distance at the intersection and retaining walls were constructed to accommodate the difference in elevations. Road elements on both roads included an asphalt mainline section with curb and gutter. Reconstruction was accomplished through a pavement section consisting of 1.5 inches of QC/QA HMA Surface on three inches of QC/QA HMA Intermediate on 6.5 QC/QA HMA Base on Subgrade Treatment Type IA.
The roundabout has 20-foot lanes with a 10-foot decorative concrete truck apron. Landscaping consisted of approximately 19 evergreens, six ornamental trees, 107 shrubs and 115 perennials. Pavement markings, signage, and roadway lighting were also installed. Drainage elements included the installation of storm sewers on Ironwood Road and Auten Road. The storm sewer on Ironwood Road discharges into a new detention basin before releasing into the new storm sewer on Auten Road. The storm sewer on Auten Road discharges into a drainage channel outside the construction limits of Auten Road. Utility work consisted of new water main on both Auten Road and Ironwood Road and a new 6-inch force main on Ironwood Road. The telephone and electric was relocated by the others. Specific elements of the project included 4,990 tons of QC/QA HMA, 519 square yards of colored and patterned concrete pavement, 4,697 lft of concrete curb and gutter, 1,157 square yards of concrete driveway pavement, 2,158 lft of ductile iron water main, 2,650 lft of storm sewer pipe, and 40 storm sewer structures. Work was performed for St. Joseph County in conjunction with the INDOT LaPorte District. Construction costs were $2.11 million (Contract R-33234).
- Mark Tomlinson Joins American Structurepoint As Technical Director of Transportation in Austin
- South Bend Smart Streets Initiative Wins First-Place ARTBA Globe Award
- Will Conley Joins American Structurepoint as Principal
- Diversification Drives American Structurepoint's Success
- City of Green Roundabout Project Wins ACEC Ohio Engineering Excellence Award | American Structurepoint
- American Structurepoint Projects Receive Three ACEC Indiana Awards
- American Structurepoint Hires Walid Gemayel, PE, as Senior VP of Ohio Team
- Sportsplex Groundbreaking Keeps Hammond Hot Streak