CR 825 E over Wabash River Bridge
When Cass County Bridge No. 123 was slated for demolition, public outcry from the town was strong. This 5-span Luten arch bridge was built in 1913 to carry CR 825 E over the Wabash River. Nearby residents relied on the bridge for daily transportation and respected it for its historic significance, but after years of corrosion, safety had become an issue. Since plans did not exist for the bridge, significant survey, coring, and field inspection was required to acquire necessary information. The goal was to return this ornamental bridge back to its original appearance while making it safer by incorporating modern design features. Many of the fine neoclassical elements of this bridge had been completely lost. Engineers relied heavily on historic reference and details gleaned from work on other Luten bridges.