39th Street Bridge over Fall Creek Bridge

Indianapolis, Indiana

This historic preservation project involved the rehabilitation of the historic 39th Street Bridge over Fall Creek, which is primarily used for pedestrians who attend the annual State Fair by train from Fishers station. The 242-foot-long, 3-span, stone-faced, earth-filled concrete arch bridge was completed in 1905 using a Melan design and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Indianapolis Park and Boulevard System. The end product is a rehabilitated structure that honors the original design and construction while giving the City of Indianapolis and the Indiana Fair Commission a long-term, low-maintenance structure to serve them decades into the future.