Viraj deSilva Weerapperuma, PhD, PE, BCEE
Utility Infrastructure Senior Technical Director
As a senior technical director, Viraj brings 28 years of progressive experience in the water and wastewater process engineering field. He has proven expertise in the evaluation and sizing of treatment processes and components, including pumps, pretreatment facilities, chemical feed systems, headworks and grit removal facilities, primary and secondary wastewater treatment, tertiary wastewater treatment, biological and chemical nutrient removal, sludge treatment, waste-to-energy facilities, reuse facilities, conventional water treatment, ion exchange, and advanced systems (RO, UV, and membranes). Viraj provides leadership in operations and maintenance, energy management, and solids handling processes.
Publications and Presentations
- Drought Season Water Conservation Measures – Wichita, Kansas Story (2014).
- AWWA Annual Conference, Boston, MA
- Control of Zebra Mussels – Treatment Options (2014). AWWA Annual Conf., Boston, MA
- Energy Management at Wastewater Treatment Plants (2013). KWEA Annual Conference, Wichita, KS
- Utilizing On-line Monitoring and Automated Process Control to Achieve Low Effluent Total Nitrogen Levels (2013). 86th WEFTEC Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Energy Conservation and Ease of Operation at Hutchinson, Kansas Wastewater Treatment Plant (2013). 86th WEFTEC Conference, Chicago, IL
- Water Reuse Practices in Kansas (2013).
- AWWA Annual Conference, Denver, CO
- Optimizing Operation of Hutchinson RO Plant (2012). KWEA/KsAWWA Annual Conference, Topeka, KS
- Aquifer Storage Provides Many Solutions (2012). AWWA Webcast, March 2012
- Design & Operation of Hutchinson, KS RO Plant (2011).
- AMTA Technology Transfer - Workshop. “Membranes: Going to Kansas City... Kansas City Here We Come”- November, 2011
- Aquifer Storage and recovery program remedies Wichita’s groundwater problems (2011). AWWA Journal 103:5:94
- Shopping for a Belt Filter Press? Perspectives from Operators and Designers (2010). 83rd WEFTEC Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Disinfecting MBR Effluent. What’s the Common Practice? (2010) 83rd WEFTEC Conference, New Orleans, LA
- Dealing with Fine Grit at WWTPs (2009). 82nd WEFTEC Conference, Orlando, FL
- Solids Handling Improvements Pays Back! Results from an Anaerobic Digester Upgrade Project (2009). 82nd WEFTEC Conference, Orlando, FL
- Selecting World Largest MBR Plants for DeKalb County, Georgia (2009). 2nd IWA Specialty Conference on Nutrient Management in WWTPs, Krakow, Poland
- Fully Operational MBRs--Operator input can lead to stronger Membrane Bioreactor Design (2008). Water Environment & Technology, November 2008
- BNR Process Control Using Online Probes (2009). 2nd IWA Specialty Conference on Nutrient Management in WWTPs, Krakow, Poland.
- Recycled Water System Success at City of Corona, CA (2009). AWWA Annual Conference, San Diego, CA
- Handling Restaurant Grease Waste in Florida. Alternative Disposal processes and beneficial Reuse Options (2009). 2009 FWRC Annual Conference in West Palm Beach, FL.
- Operating Membrane Bioreactors: Issues & Concerns (2008). Membrane Technology Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Cloth Media Disk Filter Solution for Water Reuse (2008). AWWA Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Designing UV Disinfection Systems for Wastewater Treatment (2007). World Water & Environmental Engineering Giving Old Anaerobic Digesters a New Look (2008). 81st WEFTEC Conf., Chicago, IL
- Recycled Water System Success at the Pinellas County, Florida (2007). AWWA Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada
- Emerging Technologies for Wastewater Treatment and Wet Weather Management.
- Principal Author of EPA Manual (Sep. 2007)
- Emerging Technologies for Biosolids Management. Co-Author of EPA Manual (September 2006)
- Challenges of Fuel Gas Purification for Cogeneration under Stringent Regulatory Requirements (2006). 79th WEFTEC Conference, Dallas, TX
- Operational Challenges to Meeting New Copper & THM Effluent Limits at Clearwater APCFS (2006). Florida Water Resources Journal, April 2006
- Providing Reuse Water to Golf Courses: Issues & Concerns (2006). AWWA Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX
- Reconstructing Iraq’s Wastewater Infrastructure (2005). Water Env.& Technology,17:10, 70-75
- Effects of Wastewater Treatment on Microconstituents (2007).
- Microconstituents Community of Practice, Technical Practice Committee Reviewer Operation Challenges at City of St. Petersburg Advanced Water Reclamation Facilities (2005). 2005 FWRC Annual Conference in Jacksonville, FL